Friday, 25 March 2011

New York Day 4 to Manchester -- March 23rd and 24th

We had more or less packed to leave the hotel the night before, but when we looked out of the window this morning we had rain, sleet and snow on the agenda for the day. We had to check out by 11:30 and had to be at the airport by about 4:30, so had a few hours to use up. We set off downtown to see if we could find the Levi shop we had noticed a few days earlier and with a pair of genuine 501s in my bag we still had a few hours left to spare. Catching the subway at Canal Street we headed up town aiming for the top end of Central Park … 110th street subway Lexington…. From where we walked through Harlem to Frawley Circle where there is a statue of Duke Ellington and his piano. It was raining fairly heavy, but we still walked on down through the park passing the three nymphs dancing (in the rain) statue. I did not hang around long enough for further details, but had to try to get a shot of the rain dripping off their noses (and other parts). We had planned to see the Museum of the City of New York , on 5th Avenue, which in part concentrated on the musical history of this end of town… Harlem etc. The other part of the museum focussed on the development of the city from the early days down on the harbour to today and of course the effects of 911 on current developments. A good place to use up time productively and it was not raining inside. Back to the hotel (to collect suitcases) we passed a sign on the end of Manhattan bridge telling drivers that it was wet…. As if they did not know already! We got to the airport in plenty of time to ask for a starboard window seat so that we could complete our POSH (Port out, starboard home) RTW trip. The only delay on the whole trip we had here at Newark where it had snowed and the pilot had asked for the de-icing to be done. Not satisfied with their first efforts, we had it done again, which made us an hour and a half late taking off. We missed our connection at Heathrow T5 by one minute, 8:55am, and had to wait to 11:15 for the next flight to Manchester. We are now about to attack our grandson’s bedroom in Corin and Jen’s new home. New skirting, sockets, sanding floorboards and painting architraves, before we return to the sunny isle on Tuesday. Job done…. 'RTW in 80 days.
A few photos here. It was rainng so hard I only took the little camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment